Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ghosts and Paranormal in Wigan

+9
Nosam Derf
maureen
tonker
Hieronymous
Joseph
Corky Ringspot
Ragbru
KPC
Sir Bob
13 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Ghosts and Paranormal in Wigan - Page 4 Empty Ghosts and Paranormal in Wigan

Tue Dec 29 2015, 19:46
First topic message reminder :

Wait till Tonker sees this affraid

Where is Skitters Wood?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Ghosts and Paranormal in Wigan - Page 4 Empty Re: Ghosts and Paranormal in Wigan

Sun Feb 07 2016, 20:12
In't google great Rolling Eyes
Admin
Admin
Admin

Ghosts and Paranormal in Wigan - Page 4 Empty Re: Ghosts and Paranormal in Wigan

Sun Feb 07 2016, 20:17
Further investigations about Lady Mabel concern the Wigan Convent, a girl’s grammar school which was constructed in the nineteenth century over part of the ground where Lady Mabel’s ghost is alleged to walk. The building was demolished at the end of the 1960s, but I spoke to a couple of ex-Convent girls (chirpy grandmothers, these days) who confirmed that a spectre known as “the Faceless Nun” was supposed to haunt the school’s basement. They didn’t automatically link this visitant with Lady Mabel, until I mentioned the similarities – lack of facial features, long, ragged robes, a veil or wimple.

http://paulfinch-writer.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/haigh-hall-walker-in-woods.html
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

Sun Feb 07 2016, 20:19
See number 9

No doubt the info was provided by a 'local expert'. Very Happy
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Sun Feb 07 2016, 20:20
Presumably, before the plantations were planted, the route would have been more direct.
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

Sun Feb 07 2016, 20:22
^^^

InyMiny is a new age media and entertainment company with a mission to make interesting (and sometimes useful) stories available to our readers.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Feb 07 2016, 20:23
Corky Ringspot wrote:See number 9

No doubt the info was provided by a 'local expert'. Very Happy

Ah as in my 14.42 then
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

Sun Feb 07 2016, 20:26
Ragbru wrote:Presumably, before the plantations were planted, the route would have been more direct.

Good point. Ghosts and Paranormal in Wigan - Page 4 709307421

Wiki

Legend

According to local legend the cross is named after Lady Mabel Bradshaw. The legend, recorded in a family history published in 1645, says that when Sir William Bradshaw, her husband, failed to return from the crusades she married a Welsh knight. When Bradshaw unexpectedly returned from a ten-year campaign, he murdered his wife's new husband in Newton-le-Willows while he was trying to escape.[3] Lady Mabel did penance for her bigamy by walking from Haigh Hall to a stone cross in Wigan "bare footed and bare legged" once a week for as long as she lived.[3] In another version of the legend, recorded by Norris of Speke in 1564, the Welsh knight is named as Henry Teuther, Sir William is absent for seven years on pilgrimage rather than a crusade and the penance involving the cross is not mentioned.

Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Sun Feb 07 2016, 20:40
Take all that you read of history with a pinch of salt, and when you read opinion masquerading as fact, (Especially if supporting evidence is lacking), with a whole shed-load of the stuff!
tonker
tonker

Sun Feb 07 2016, 20:59
Ragbru wrote:Take all that you read of history with a pinch of salt, and when you read opinion masquerading as fact, (Especially if supporting evidence is lacking), with a whole shed-load of the stuff!

I agree, especially if it's local history, about Wigan, written by Wiganers! Very Happy

Sun Feb 07 2016, 21:10
Badum tish!
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

Mon Feb 08 2016, 14:20
Mac wrote:Badum tish!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And remember folks, the Laxey Wheel was invented/discovered down Leyland Mill Lane.
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

Mon Feb 08 2016, 14:21
^^T

Probably by Lady Mabel herself.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Mar 23 2016, 12:25
Is the spookiest stretch of road in Standish haunted by the village's former rector? One local woman said she had been on a walk down Rectory Lane recently when she felt a presence behind her.

Read more: http://www.wigantoday.net/news/villagers-see-ghost-in-the-parish-1-183311#ixzz43jDXvCjI
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Mar 23 2016, 12:33
Was the Legs of Man Haunted by Lord Derby?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=am87AwAAQBAJ&pg=PT16&lpg=PT16&dq=ghosts+in+pemberton+wigan&source=bl&ots=lLGxIVRMjf&sig=_wtNFxLWTmaigMDkFd0rfcPcbW8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXsu7959bLAhVEvhQKHaw7BvsQ6AEISTAI#v=onepage&q=ghosts%20in%20pemberton%20wigan&f=false

Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Aug 29 2016, 21:49
Was the John Bull chop house haunted by lLady Mabel?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Aug 29 2016, 22:01
2008 spooky happenings

Is the spookiest stretch of road in Standish haunted by the village's former rector? One local woman said she had been on a walk down Rectory Lane recently when she felt a presence behind her. Since we revealed how one passing motorist was scared out of her wits earlier this year after spotting a perfectly-formed silhouette, complete with trilby hat, disappearing in front of her headlights, we've been flooded with rumours and speculation about ghostly goings-on.

Read more at: http://www.wigantoday.net/news/villagers-see-ghost-in-the-parish-1-183311
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Aug 31 2016, 09:36
Does anyone remember the story of "Red Clogs" the ghost of Porters Wood. Did/ does the ghost exist?

Wed Aug 31 2016, 09:38
Everywhere had a 'Red clogs' I think.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Aug 31 2016, 10:04
I vaguely remember a story about a young lad who wore red clogs hanging himself in Porters Wood .
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Sep 01 2016, 16:22
https://lancashirefolk.com/2016/07/20/red-clogs-a-coalminers-ghost/

Another, less gory story explains the Red Clogs in this manner… a young Pemberton boy was given some new clogs by his mother but was unwilling to wear them because they were not the usual black leather but red. His fears were realised when his school-friends taunted him about his pretty red shoes but when he complained to his mother she gave him no sympathy. Clogs were the chosen footwear of the poor because their wooden soles did not wear out; the iron patches on the bottom of the shoes could easily be replaced when they became too thin. And as the boy’s mother was indeed poor, she simply could not afford to buy more clogs for her son; he would simply have to wear them. The boy suffered constant bullying until at last he could bear no more and took his own life in Porter’s Wood. He was found by other children, coming home through the wood at the end of the school day.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Oct 13 2016, 11:26
These incidences happened about the year 2000 in our old house in a town called Wigan, in the north of England. I must have been about six years old at the time, and each event happened one after the other within the space of six months.

The first: I went upstairs for something, but I don't remember what. There was, or at least I thought so, somebody else with me upstairs because I remember always being too scared to go upstairs at night without someone else with me at that age.

Anyway, on the landing were four rooms in a row, with mine and my brother's room being the second. I walked towards it, and saw the door was open just a little but, enough to see the wall and a small portion of the floor. The light was on and I saw a shadow move across the floor.

I thought nothing of this, assuming it to be my brother and walked inside. To my horror, nobody was there. The last thing I remember was running, terrified back downstairs to find my brother in the living room.

The second: I went upstairs again, only this time it was midday so I wasn't afraid to go up alone. I reached the top of the stairs, with the landing in front of me and my sisters' bedroom at the end about 3 meters ahead. The door was wide open and my sister had sat her dolls on the edge of her bed. I was familiar with this sight and it never bothered me before, but this time I could feel something was wrong.

There was this one doll, Sunny, that is the subject of the next three incidences. She had bright yellow hair, almost white, that stuck out in a sort of punkish way all round the top of her head, hence the name Sunny., and creepy bright blue eyes (most dolls had eyes that would shut when laid down, but Sunny's eyes had 'broken' so were always open).

Anyway, I sensed something was wrong, and I looked into Sunny's eyes. She had one of her arms pulled back behind her back, and as I looked closer, she swung her arm over her head and threw something at me.

I was scared and ran away again. I told my sister, and we went back to have a look. Sunny was still in the same position when I last saw her, and her arm was in the position of giving a salute from having thrown the object. We had a look around for the 'object' that she threw onto the landing, but I don't think she believed me as I was only six years.

The third: involves Sunny again. I and my brother were playing and we had taken some of our sisters' dolls. I had gotten over my fear of her, but believed her to be haunted. I remember being angry at her for scaring me like that and I tried to choke her with my hands.

I don't clearly remember how she reacted, but she began to shake. She didn't move any of her limbs but her head turned from the side to look at me and she was shaking fairly violently in my hands. I dropped her and I remember very well pleading with my dad and sisters to get rid of the doll.

Again, they didn't believe me and it stayed in on my sister's bed, staring at me all the time. I never went near her again after that.

The last I saw of Sunny was the scariest for me. We were in the living room watching TV when my sister came screaming into the room. She said she had been playing with Sunny when she suddenly started bleeding. She had left her in her room, and when my dad went to have a look with her I decided to come too, not being afraid with my dad there. I briefly caught a glimpse Sunny sitting on the floor in the middle of the room with blood streaming from her eyes. They sent me away as they washed it off and that was the last I saw of Sunny. As far as I know they gave her away to someone else.

The last three are clearly related but I still wonder if the shadow in our empty bedroom is. I think the shadow may have been caused by Sunny because I never experienced anything else in that house even until we moved out two years ago. I have, however had some minor experiences after moving, which I may post another time.

I said that I was only six years old at the time, so my memory will not be entirely accurate but I know for certain that what I said really happened. This may not be as scary as other ghost stories but Sunny still creeps me out when I think of her even though it's been ten years.

I was raised a Christian, and even though I am now agnostic I believe that there are spirits, good, bad, and even mixed up ones.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try my best to answer them.

Link
Nosam Derf
http://www.fredmason.com

Thu Oct 13 2016, 17:46
Oooooooooh, you ARE a one..... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Thu Oct 13 2016, 18:49
I like the ghost story a passenger of mine told me and I might have already mentioned it, but it concerns the newish building in Pemberton, which houses a Subway on the ground floor and flats on the upper floors and this youngish women was telling me how the building was haunted, because it had been built on the site of the old Pemberton Police Station, apparently a Sergeant hanged himself in the station and then haunted it, so I ask meself this and that is where did the ghost of the sergeant go to when they had demolished the police station and before they built the new building, did he just wait there outside.

What a load of crap, the woman was a single mum and she said she had asked the housing to move her, because her flat was haunted and she said the ghost kept turning her telly on and off and she said her neighbours in the flats had also had haunting experiences, more like they were like her after a council house pirat
Nosam Derf
http://www.fredmason.com

Thu Oct 13 2016, 19:16
I lived in a council house on Montrose Avenue when I was five years old. It was haunted but only I ever saw the ghost. My parents walked right past him but only I could see him....

SO,.....Beware, the Council Ghosts............... affraid
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Oct 13 2016, 21:22
"In between Appley Lane North and Miles Lane is a road called Skull House Lane. The lane takes its name from a cottage known as Skull House, which is located about halfway down Appley Lane North.
The story goes that in the time of the war between the Roundheads and the Cavaliers, Oliver Cromwell ordered that the monks of England should be driven out of their monasteries and killed, with their monasteries then razed to the ground. One canny monk fled from his monastery and took refuge in a large cottage in Appley Bridge. To try to avoid discovery by Cromwell's Roundheads, the monk hid in a small cubby-hole halfway up the house's chimney. He hid there for some time, until the Roundheads eventually discovered him, and tried to drive him out. They lit a blaze in the fireplace, and the searing heat and thick smoke eventually forced the monk out, whence he was killed. Ever since then, the monk's discoloured skull has remained on the mantelpiece of the house, in the living room.
The inhabitants of Appley Bridge tell that, throughout the history of the house, there have been many residents who have tried to get rid of the skull, and all have experienced disastrous results from doing so. According to legend, one threw it into the River Douglas at the bottom of Appley Lane North. Shortly after, the skull returned to the house and the offending resident drowned in the river. Another tried to get it as far away from the house as possible, and shortly after, the skull returned once again and this time, the house's inhabitant fell down the stairs and severely injured himself. Others have tried many ways to banish the skull, and all have met with misfortune or fatality—sickness, the death of a loved one, bad luck ... the list goes on and on. The house's current residents have, unsurprisingly, never tried to remove the skull."

Link
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum