Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

+10
marieM
Corky Ringspot
Nosam Derf
les-bradd
stumpy
tonker
dodger
Sir Bob
Ragbru
Admin
14 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 4 Empty All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

Sat Aug 08 2015, 10:25
First topic message reminder :

News Report Archive
6th August 2000
News reports from Wigan Observer, Wigan Reporter and Wigan Evening Post

Adam Viaduct, which carries the Wigan/Kirby railway line over the River Douglas at the Saddle, looks set to become a major attraction for industrial historians.
The anonymous looking structure is, it has been revealed, the FIRST pre-stressed concrete bridge in the world!
And now the government culture and arts (DCMS)Minister Alan Howarth has announced that he is considering making the viaduct a Grade II listed structure to protect it for posterity. The news has delighted Metro planning department's conservation officer Philip Powell who says that the council pointed out the viaduct's historical significance to the government almost seven years ago.
The viaduct was constructed by the former London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1946 and was the result of 'pioneering research' into pre-stressed concrete, where concrete is poured over an already manufactiured and tightened iron skeleton.
Mr Powell said: "We are aware of the historical importance of the bridge and it is very good news that the DCMS is in the process of recognising it by listing."
The listing means that Railtrack would need full justification and explanation for any move to replace the bridge with a more modern structure, rather than repair it, should work become necessary.
It also outs the bridge into the same historical importance as the rather more grandiose Glenfinnan Viaduct built of un-stressed concrete by 'concrete Bob' Robert McAlpine on the majestic west Highland railway line between Fort William and Mallaig in the North West of Scotland. This magnificent structure from 1900 contains 21 arches is 416 yards long on a continuous curve of 792 feet and still in regular use today.

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 4 Adambridge

Last edited by Admin on Wed Aug 19 2015, 15:44; edited 6 times in total

Joseph
Joseph

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 4 Empty Re: All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

Wed Aug 19 2015, 18:04
Immediate Wigan Area, that's just nit pickin'! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 4 Empty Re: All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

Wed Aug 19 2015, 19:10
Well the four crossing points of the River Douglas, which I have mentioned are all in 'Wigan' the River Douglas at Newtown being the border between Wigan and Pemberton.
To be technical about it, in 2000 the bridge over the River Douglas at Martland Mill was open, but it was Scot Lane which was flooded and closed, same at Newtown, the bridges over the River were open, but the dip in the road under the railway bridge was flooded and the fire brigade were very concerned that the flood defenses at the end of Eleanor Street, were going to give way, which would have sent a wall of water down Eleanor Street and on to Wallgate and Pottrey Road.

Wed Aug 19 2015, 19:31
Is there not one at the bottom of Greenough st?
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

Wed Aug 19 2015, 20:43
Who's Asland?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Aug 19 2015, 20:47
Asland = Island   Its on another of my posts somewhere.  I think confused

Bummers I read that wrong

Last edited by Admin on Wed Aug 19 2015, 20:53; edited 1 time in total

Wed Aug 19 2015, 20:50
T' Duggie is the Asland.
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

Asland is another name for the Douglas.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7EpIAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA249&lpg=PA249&dq=adams+bridge+wigan&source=bl&ots=PI3i0ecGOW&sig=jbFVVpPLLCzdBELoYdH2YjcCZjE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBWoVChMIi9-zutSbxwIVhKrbCh1Tbwef#v=onepage&q=adams%20bridge%20wigan&f=false

Wed Aug 19 2015, 20:53
See Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:28 am. Tsk!

Wed Aug 19 2015, 22:39
Admin wrote:Someone may have better eyesight than me.  Asland= Island

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7EpIAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA249&lpg=PA249&dq=adams+bridge+wigan&source=bl&ots=PI3i0ecGOW&sig=jbFVVpPLLCzdBELoYdH2YjcCZjE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBWoVChMIi9-zutSbxwIVhKrbCh1Tbwef#v=onepage&q=adams%20bridge%20wigan&f=false

Admin, it was your post on Sun 9 Aug at 10:15 where you mentioned Asland, I'd forgotten it was the River Douglas.
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Wed Aug 19 2015, 22:47
Kryten wrote:Is there not one at the bottom of Greenough st?
Yes, but I was on about if you wanted to get out of Wigan going South, to Newtown, Pemberton etc in 2000 the only way I could get home was via Chapel Lane and it was a nightmare, because everybody else was having to travel via Chapel Lane too and that was when I realised that a flood like that could leave you stranded in Wigan and if Chapel Lane had been closed, the only way would have been through Shevington and Gathhurst or Platt Bridge, Bamfurlong, Stubshaw Cross.

In 2000 I am sure they closed Wallgate off at Queen Street and Caroline Street, preventing traffic from using Pottrey Road and Swan Meadow Road to get on to Poolstock

Fri Jan 06 2017, 17:53
Surprising what you find when having a mooch. Nice pics Sir Bob
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Jan 06 2017, 18:05
you are right Sir Bob they did close Wallgate off, I remember the nightmare I had getting home from work and that was on foot...

Fri Jan 06 2017, 18:49
So you couldn't go down wallgate to get to Saddle Junction then?
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Jan 06 2017, 18:52
no it was all shut

Fri Jan 06 2017, 18:55
Cheers, Vixen...What was the reason?

Could you get to say, Wigan Pier from there?
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Jan 06 2017, 18:58
I remember walking down Wallgate and having to cut through the Pier to get onto Swan Meadow Road, I couldn't walk round Swan Meadow from Wallgate...

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:01
Again with there thanks. Wonder if there is an old map showing the route somewhere. I remember there was a newsagent almost opposite the pier on the right hand side as you walk towards the saddle junction, but I was only a lad then so cars were a thing of the future.
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:07
how old do you think I am Very Happy I am only going back 17 years
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:07
where Elizabeth House is now there was a row of cottages but I don't remember any shops?

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:11
Yes, I remember the cottages, opposite mitco peck, the shop was on the other side of the canal.
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:14
I remember a petrol station on the other side next door to what is The Pier Pub (as was)

edit: maybe somewhere on this row?

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 4 Efyips10
Nosam Derf
http://www.fredmason.com

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:20
What a fantastic old photo, Vixen.... All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 4 709307421
Gassey
Gassey

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:23
The pub was the queens there was a paper shop 2 or 3 shops further down
On the right. George Taylor was the newsagent
Gassey
Gassey

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:27
Sorry the pub was what is Wallgate discount centre in the picture the building at the phone box was doctors surgery
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum