Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

+10
marieM
Corky Ringspot
Nosam Derf
les-bradd
stumpy
tonker
dodger
Sir Bob
Ragbru
Admin
14 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 5 Empty All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

Sat Aug 08 2015, 10:25
First topic message reminder :

News Report Archive
6th August 2000
News reports from Wigan Observer, Wigan Reporter and Wigan Evening Post

Adam Viaduct, which carries the Wigan/Kirby railway line over the River Douglas at the Saddle, looks set to become a major attraction for industrial historians.
The anonymous looking structure is, it has been revealed, the FIRST pre-stressed concrete bridge in the world!
And now the government culture and arts (DCMS)Minister Alan Howarth has announced that he is considering making the viaduct a Grade II listed structure to protect it for posterity. The news has delighted Metro planning department's conservation officer Philip Powell who says that the council pointed out the viaduct's historical significance to the government almost seven years ago.
The viaduct was constructed by the former London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1946 and was the result of 'pioneering research' into pre-stressed concrete, where concrete is poured over an already manufactiured and tightened iron skeleton.
Mr Powell said: "We are aware of the historical importance of the bridge and it is very good news that the DCMS is in the process of recognising it by listing."
The listing means that Railtrack would need full justification and explanation for any move to replace the bridge with a more modern structure, rather than repair it, should work become necessary.
It also outs the bridge into the same historical importance as the rather more grandiose Glenfinnan Viaduct built of un-stressed concrete by 'concrete Bob' Robert McAlpine on the majestic west Highland railway line between Fort William and Mallaig in the North West of Scotland. This magnificent structure from 1900 contains 21 arches is 416 yards long on a continuous curve of 792 feet and still in regular use today.

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 5 Adambridge

Last edited by Admin on Wed Aug 19 2015, 15:44; edited 6 times in total

maureen
maureen

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 5 Empty Re: All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:33
Dr Hall was there,Dr Rosser,and Dr Ratchford..I was brought up in Great George St which is further up on the left before the bridge.

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 5 Empty Re: All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:37
Yes, Gassey. They used to have their papers delivered at 7am ish, all tied witrh string. I used to take on as I walked past
Gassey
Gassey

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:37
maureen wrote:Dr Hall was there,Dr Rosser,and Dr Ratchford..I was brought up in Great George St which is further up on the left before the bridge.
spot on Maureen Dr Hall never had acid out of his mouth
ever when examining people health and safety would have a field day today was malleys the shoe shop on
That row as well All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 5 709307421

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:38
Dr Rosser. He was my Dr. as a small child. I saw him once. I went to Hospital in the 90's and was asked the name of my Dr. I said it was Dr Rosser, only to be told he died in the early 80's.
Gassey
Gassey

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:39
That should be a cig not acid All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 5 3139137536
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:42
I remember a pub called the Grapes stood on it's own, painted white with purple grapes in relief?
Gassey
Gassey

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:45
Yeah grapes further up on right just out of picture top of Clayton st

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:48
The Grapes had a piano in it, on the right hand side as you went in. On the left was a roaring fire (It disdn't really roar, but it was always on)

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:49
Gassey wrote:
maureen wrote:Dr Hall was there,Dr Rosser,and Dr Ratchford..I was brought up in Great George St which is further up on the left before the bridge.
spot on Maureen Dr Hall never had acid out of his mouth
ever when examining people health and safety would have a field day today was malleys the shoe shop on
That row as well All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 5 709307421

Hahahahaha. Acid in his mouth!
Gassey
Gassey

Fri Jan 06 2017, 19:58
There was an Indian doctor there as well .I once got some steel in my eye and went to him for a sick note
as I had to have it padded for a week. He sent me on my way saying, if you wink at pretty girl , you only use one
eye, if you shoot at enemy in trenches you only use one eye. You will be OK . I think his name was Dr Dey

True story ,I was that soldier
maureen
maureen

Fri Jan 06 2017, 20:00
Dr Rosser painted in watercolours and asked if I'd go to his class with him somewhere in Chorley..the next time I rang for an appointment was told that he'd left..I never found out why..then I found out he'd died..I literally grew up with him.I was gobsmacked..I believe it was a heart attack,but don't really know.

Fri Jan 06 2017, 20:08
Want to come and see my etchings eh!
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Jan 06 2017, 20:11
Dr Dey used to have the surgery on the ground floor of Dryden House and then moved to Shakespeare Grove
maureen
maureen

Fri Jan 06 2017, 20:29
I called Dr Dey when my Son had an awful rash..he said "Oh he's fine he can go to School"I suspected Chicken pox so went for a second opinion..it was what I suspected..and didn't he get into trouble for something.
maureen
maureen

Fri Jan 06 2017, 20:32
Mac,it depends whereabouts your tattoos are. Very Happy
maureen
maureen

Fri Jan 06 2017, 21:06
Sorry Gassey..yes Malleys shoe shop was just further down than the newsagents.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Sep 10 2018, 09:05
In the UK, a stock of emergency prestressed concrete beams was held during the War and used afterwards in permanent bridgeworks. They were designed by Dr. Mautner of the Prestressed Concrete Company, a subsidiary of Mouchel licensed by Freyssinet. This partnership was responsible for Nunn's Bridge, Fishtoft near Boston (1948), the first in-situ prestressed concrete road bridge. Other early examples were the Adam Viaduct near Wigan (1943) and the Rhinefield Bridge in Hampshire. The main prestressing systems in use at this time were Freyssinet, Hoyer and Lee-McCall.

[Link
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Mon Sep 10 2018, 10:48
I noo Dr Dey and his Mrs, they are both dead now...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum