Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

+10
marieM
Corky Ringspot
Nosam Derf
les-bradd
stumpy
tonker
dodger
Sir Bob
Ragbru
Admin
14 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 Empty All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

Sat Aug 08 2015, 10:25
First topic message reminder :

News Report Archive
6th August 2000
News reports from Wigan Observer, Wigan Reporter and Wigan Evening Post

Adam Viaduct, which carries the Wigan/Kirby railway line over the River Douglas at the Saddle, looks set to become a major attraction for industrial historians.
The anonymous looking structure is, it has been revealed, the FIRST pre-stressed concrete bridge in the world!
And now the government culture and arts (DCMS)Minister Alan Howarth has announced that he is considering making the viaduct a Grade II listed structure to protect it for posterity. The news has delighted Metro planning department's conservation officer Philip Powell who says that the council pointed out the viaduct's historical significance to the government almost seven years ago.
The viaduct was constructed by the former London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1946 and was the result of 'pioneering research' into pre-stressed concrete, where concrete is poured over an already manufactiured and tightened iron skeleton.
Mr Powell said: "We are aware of the historical importance of the bridge and it is very good news that the DCMS is in the process of recognising it by listing."
The listing means that Railtrack would need full justification and explanation for any move to replace the bridge with a more modern structure, rather than repair it, should work become necessary.
It also outs the bridge into the same historical importance as the rather more grandiose Glenfinnan Viaduct built of un-stressed concrete by 'concrete Bob' Robert McAlpine on the majestic west Highland railway line between Fort William and Mallaig in the North West of Scotland. This magnificent structure from 1900 contains 21 arches is 416 yards long on a continuous curve of 792 feet and still in regular use today.

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 Adambridge

Last edited by Admin on Wed Aug 19 2015, 15:44; edited 6 times in total

Nosam Derf
http://www.fredmason.com

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 Empty Re: All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

Sun Aug 09 2015, 18:43
That's it, Mac. Thanks. All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 709307421
Nosam Derf

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 Empty Re: All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct

Sun Aug 09 2015, 18:51
Thanks Dodger...I am amazed at the changes to my town, at least looking at it from Google Earth. I must drop in for a visit one day soon.

All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 Adam_b12

Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Aug 09 2015, 19:40
Anyone found out why it was called Adams Bridge All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 2407571070

Last edited by Admin on Sun Aug 09 2015, 19:53; edited 1 time in total
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

Sun Aug 09 2015, 19:44
Light shed on it here.
Nosam Derf

Sun Aug 09 2015, 19:47
A family bridge then????????
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Aug 09 2015, 19:52
So My 8.31 today has nowt to do with it Sad
Nosam Derf

Sun Aug 09 2015, 19:58
Looks like your thread has gone to pot, Admin. I am innocent however....(as the third whisky slides down his throat....) drunken drunken drunken
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Aug 15 2015, 09:49
I'm still looking for the reason it was called Adams Bridge.  I even tweeted Wish fm.  Will have to wait see if anyone comes up with the right answer.  Although I'm still wondering if this has a connection

The western world first encountered it in "historical works in the 9th century" by Ibn Khordadbeh in his Book of Roads and Kingdoms (c. AD 850), referring to it is Set Bandhai or "Bridge of the Sea".[18] Later, Alberuni described it. The earliest map that calls this area by the name Adam's bridge was prepared by a British cartographer in 1804.[2][7][19] Islamic tradition refers to a mountain in Sri Lanka as Adam's Peak, where Adam supposedly fell to earth, and describes Adam as crossing from Sri Lanka to India on what became known as Adam's Bridge.[20]

LINK

Sat Aug 15 2015, 10:24
My previous link http://www.engineering-timelines.com/scripts/engineeringItem.asp?id=537

from whingingworld.

Sat Aug 15 2015, 10:28
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?tn=History+Wigan

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7EpIAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA249&dq=Adam+bridge,+Wigan,+where+did+it+get+the+name?&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAGoVChMI8ZvC4uKqxwIV4mjbCh049QAK#v=onepage&q=Adam%20bridge%2C%20Wigan%2C%20where%20did%20it%20get%20the%20name%3F&f=false
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Aug 15 2015, 10:36
Ta Mac. I must be missing something scratch I cant see a reference as to why it was called Adam Bridge.

Sat Aug 15 2015, 10:37
Adam built it, when he was a lad!
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Sat Aug 15 2015, 11:00
It would be worth checking to make sure there is not an Alderman 'Adams', attaching his name to his pet project of the early road bridge over the Douglas.

Sat Aug 15 2015, 11:16
'Atam' Bridge, between Wigan and Pemberton, was the subject of a dispute in 1334 www.british-history.ac.uk

Not sure if that's helpful or just a red herring /read erring Smile

Sat Aug 15 2015, 11:22
All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 Image.jpg1_696
www.gmau.manchester.ac.uk (p.21)
les-bradd
les-bradd

Sat Aug 15 2015, 11:31
The River Douglas, in its unrestricted days, flowed down from the north and turned to the west round the hill upon which Wigan Church stands, thence running north-westward and northward to the Ribble. The township of Wigan consists of the triangular area inclosed by the river and a line drawn across in a north-easterly direction from one part of the river's course to the other; in addition there are the district called Scholes on the eastern side, inclosed between the Douglas and a brook once called the Lorington, and now the Clarington, (fn. 1) which formerly joined it near the southernmost point of its course; and a small area to the south of the river. It is curious that Wigan is cut off by the river from the rest of the parish

I've heard this before somewhere All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 2027234125 All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 2027234125
Ragbru
Ragbru
Location : In a land full of pretentious buffoons.(I live alone)

Sat Aug 15 2015, 11:46
All Our Wigan Yesterdays Adam viaduct - Page 3 709307421

Interesting read, jo anne.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Aug 19 2015, 15:23
Hello

Further to Alex's email, Adam Bridge is shown on OS maps of 1846/47, this predates any Council minutes or newspaper indexes available here at Wigan Local Studies.

After searching various resources concerning the history of Wigan/Pemberton I've been unable to find any documented information as to the origin of its name.

As an aside there is a reference in Edward Baines's History Of Lancs to an Adam de Pemberton living in the reign of Richard 1 ?

You are very welcome to visit us, if you wish to search further, or if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me again.

If you would like to bring your group to visit Wigan Local Studies I can give a short tour and show you the resources available.

Regards
Rita

Rita Musa
Local & Family History Officer
Resources Directorate
Wigan Council
Museum of Wigan Life
01942 828020
www.wigan.gov.uk
www.twitter.com/wigancouncil
www.facebook.com/WiganCouncilOnline

Wed Aug 19 2015, 15:56
The origin of the name Pemberton has been traced as far back as 1189 when Adam de Pemberton is mentioned in the Close Rolls  of London, during the reign of King Richard I, "the Lionheart", 1189 to 1199. (pembertonfamily.com)

I wonder if the bridge was named after him or not, Admin? scratch
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Aug 19 2015, 15:58
My thoughts too Jo anne. Its certainly the best reason for naming the bridge Adam so far.
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Wed Aug 19 2015, 17:03
In circa October 2000 the River Duggy overflooded at Martland Mill, closing Scot Lane between Beech Hill and Marsh Bonk and at Newtown, closing Wallgate under the Seven Stars railway bridge, that meant that the only way to get from Wigan to Pemberton, Newtown etc was via the bridge over the Duggy at Chapel Lane, which has since been rebuilt, but that experiance brought to mind that there are only three bridges over the River Douglas in the immdiate Wigan area .
tonker
tonker

Wed Aug 19 2015, 17:43
Sir Bob wrote:...... that experience brought to mind that there are only three bridges over the River Douglas in the immediate Wigan area  

Bollox. There's at least 12 that I know of. And I'm a foreigner!
Joseph
Joseph

Wed Aug 19 2015, 17:50
It goes all't way t' Ribble tha kno's!
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Wed Aug 19 2015, 18:00
tonker wrote:
Sir Bob wrote:......  that experience brought to mind that there are only three bridges over the River Douglas in the immediate Wigan area  

Bollox.  There's at least 12 that I know of.  And I'm a foreigner!

Reet then, there is one at Martland Mill, there is one at Newtown (two if you include the gyratory) and the Chapel Lane one, the only one I missed out was the one near the Honersuckle on Swan Meadow/Pool Street, so there only four ways to cross the River Douglas without going on a very long detour.

In the flood of 2000 I am sure for some reason, traffic was prevented from using Swan Meadow Road to get on to Poolstock.
Nosam Derf

Wed Aug 19 2015, 18:02
Sir Bob says 'In the immediate Wigan area'

Wonder what Tonks declares as the immediate Wigan area?

Interesting points of view though. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum