Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wigan Stories

+7
Vixen
maureen
Gassey
Corky Ringspot
Joseph
dickypoos
Admin
11 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wigan Stories - Page 2 Empty Wigan Stories

Wed Jan 18 2017, 21:47
First topic message reminder :

Scot Lane smells
christine ackland
As a kid I lived on Scot Lane and where the stadium is now there used to be a sewerage pumping station and a path which led down to the canal and by the canal was the bone works. Further down the road just before the beginning of Marsh Green there was also a council tip which we used to call the Gant...anyone remember the Gant???..The smells from these three places was something else but it never deterred us kids from playing around there. My mum forbid to go anywhere near the tip (gant) and of course that was a red rag to a bull. I'm sure health and safety would have a lot to say about it these days, but guess what.... we had very few illnesses even with all that was floating about in the air. Happy days.

Link

Last edited by Admin on Mon Feb 20 2017, 15:29; edited 1 time in total

Wigan Stories - Page 2 Empty Re: Wigan Stories

Mon Jan 30 2017, 19:28
My uncle used to own a shoe mending shop on Frog Lane. He made me a beltin, pair of red clogs. If I remember correctly his name was Albert Lord. I think he was some relation to the people who owned the slipper factory.
Nosam Derf
http://www.fredmason.com

Mon Jan 30 2017, 20:02
Mrs A...didn't realise that you lived on Scot Lane. I lived on Montrose Ave just up from Scot Lane and went to Scot lane School before moving up to Norley in 1952. I remember walking along the path to the canal past the sewage works. At the top of the path on Scot Lane was a sweet shop that sold pear shaped toffee lollies. They cost one and half pence each and tasted so good just like fresh fruit. I can still taste them.

I carved my name in the wooden fence nearby when I was a young adult but it's gone now.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...Thanks for the memories...... cheers cheers cheers

Mon Jan 30 2017, 20:05
I think you got me mixed up with Vixen derf Very Happy I went to St Johns Taught by the lovely Miss Anderton Wigan Stories - Page 2 3625261725
Nosam Derf

Mon Jan 30 2017, 20:11
I am confusicated...Just reading the first post by Admin.

Reply with quote Wigan Stories
Post by Admin on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 21:47

Scot Lane smells
christine ackland

???????????????????

Mon Jan 30 2017, 20:17
Oh sorry derf hadn't realised you were referring to the OP
Nosam Derf

Mon Jan 30 2017, 20:22
Wigan Stories - Page 2 709307421
stars
stars

Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:08
Fred rodens shop was in scot lane just near the top of the sewerage pad in the fifties,then there was pedders farm at the side of scot lane school, we used to get pears from mr pedder,also was a little duck pond as you went in the gate,I also remember the wagons bringing the prefabs onto worsley hall in the late forties early fifties memories
Nosam Derf

Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:12
rodens shop was in scot lane just near the top of the sewerage pad in the fifties

Many thanks, Stars,

That name does sound familiar.

My mother had a good friend who lived in the prefabs. I remember visiting one day as a kid.

Great memories, Yes?? Wigan Stories - Page 2 709307421
Nosam Derf

Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:12
@ Stars,

Do you remember Bill Naylor and his shop near to the school?
stars
stars

Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:22
Yes bill,Alice his wife and Albert son

Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:39
gaffer wrote:Sad that Walter died shortly after his retirement.

Sorry to hear that gaffer. Sad
Nosam Derf

Tue Jan 31 2017, 09:45
Nice pics, Mrs A. We still have some interesting architecture in Wigan.

Last edited by Nosam Derf on Tue Jan 31 2017, 15:49; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Jan 31 2017, 15:35
Ah Thanks mache.  you can just see it in this you tube video of the demolition of the old town hall

Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Feb 06 2017, 09:50
Another Marsh Green story. Does anyone remember Dancer and Dawn

Dancer and Dawn
Anonymous
I remember being a little girl and my older sister taking me down to the bottom of Marsh Green on Scot Lane. In those days, you couldn't go any farther than the Bridgewater pub as it was farm-land. We used to lean over the fence and feed the horses whose names were Dancer and Dawn. I often wonder who owned them and what happened to them.

Thu Feb 09 2017, 16:21

Schools
Anonymous
In the small settlement of Platt Bridge there were three Primary Schools: Low Hall Primary; St Nathaniel’s Primary; and Holy Family Primary. Holy Family is a faith school (Catholic) and the other two were Local Authority. My sister and brothers went to Low Hall and my mum helped out a lot, meaning I was there a lot when I was younger. The headteacher was Mr Hollion and he was well-loved throughout the school, he was warm and approachable. The school was a real community. One of the teachers set up a Spanish class which my sister adored and is now on track to get an A* in GCSE Spanish. Unfortunately, the day came when Low Hall and St Nathaniel’s were told they were to close and a new Super School was to be built for the pupils of both. There was outcry from the entire community and the campaign to stop the closures began. There were appeals to MPs and marches at the Town Hall. If the community wasn’t united before, it certainly was then. Malicious rumours were spread on what was to be done on the school sites, to incite fear. Petitions were drawn up. Platt Bridge had the feel of a town on the edge of war. Sadly, in this story of David and Goliath, Goliath won. The new school was built and Low Hall and St Nat’s were demolished. In time, the militants returned to being parents and students.

http://www.storiesofwigan.com/#
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum