Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bonus question,

+2
tonker
tomplum
6 posters
Go down
tomplum
tomplum
Admin
http://www.tomplum.co.uk

bonus question, Empty bonus question,

Mon Nov 26 2018, 23:22
for an orange what was the spider used for ?

bonus question, Empty Re: bonus question,

Mon Nov 26 2018, 23:35
Was it a pill box, Tom?
tonker
tonker

Mon Nov 26 2018, 23:36
You can't come in without a tie!   Very Happy
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Mon Nov 26 2018, 23:55
Did it collect the cooled water/steam from one of the cooling towers and funnel it into a pipe, to return it to the power station.
broady
broady

Tue Nov 27 2018, 00:37
Long shots at snooker when you couldn’t bridge with your own hand.
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Tue Nov 27 2018, 08:13
Times up,,

Its from the mining times, I'm told it was a coal washer, So Sir Bob is nearest and gets chocolate spider at the Christmas Dooo bonus question, 1762850917

Tue Nov 27 2018, 12:38
It's a coal washer. . Bet I'm right!

bonus question, Empty Bogus Question

Tue Nov 27 2018, 16:15
Am I right in thinking the washed coal was then carried by barge up Wigan Flight to Wigan Coal & Iron Company Ltd to be pressed?

Northern Mine Research Society - www.nmrs.org.uk
Little Jim
Little Jim

Tue Dec 04 2018, 17:26
Its for pulling a bearing off a shaft,
Cadfael
Cadfael

Wed Dec 05 2018, 06:28
If you consult the maps, it is not where the colliery was, it is in fact in the middle of a sewerage plant that stood there.
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

bonus question, Empty Westwood Spider

Sun Dec 09 2018, 17:15
Mr Tom

I can't find your topic which has a picture and question of the Westwood Spider in it, but here is a pic of the coal hoppers at Westwood Power Station under construction, wooden shuttering was used to form a mould into which runny concrete was poured, which then set like jelly, but a bit harder ....

bonus question, Ww26b10

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/oldgallery/showgeneral.php?pic=ww26b.jpg&subopt=westwood&w=938&h=690

Now I know those aren't the spider, but the spider looks to me to be a smaller version of those hoppers.

Spider
bonus question, Westwo10

So I think the spider was a hopper into which coal was emptied, which then fell down on to a conveyor belt, which then transported the coal from the coal storage area, into the power station Smile

Sun Dec 09 2018, 17:19
It’s this thread of Tom’s, Sir Bob - bonus question

Great photos Smile
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Sun Dec 09 2018, 17:42
At the base of the hoppers there are large diameter water pipes, I'm told by the occupier ( Kevin) that the water came in and washed the coal, That might tie in with caddys discovery that it was on a treatment plant, That would make sense as water would be available in a water treatment plant at high pressure to wash coal, It is on an old railway line route from the westwood Power station,
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Sun Dec 09 2018, 20:56
A guess of mine is that those hoppers were left by the demolition company, at the request of the council to have some sort of monument to be positioned on the site as a memorial to Westwood Power Station, because originally a marina was planned to go on the site there.
o
tomplum
tomplum
Admin

Sun Dec 09 2018, 21:33
who knows ? So do you mean the marina that was built at Plonk Lone was originally intended for on Peasons flash ?
Sir Bob
Sir Bob

Wed Dec 12 2018, 15:55
oaplum wrote:who knows ?   So do you mean the marina that was built at Plonk Lone was originally intended for on Peasons flash ?

As I recall when the power station was demolished, it left a very big blot on the landscape and even when the power station was working, the area around there in between Lower Ince and Poolstock was a blot on the landscape, it was horrible and the council came up with a plan post demolition to transform the site, the plan inclooded, building a marina and building houses and factory yoonits at the then named Westwood Park

But to open up the Westwood site, a major infrastructure project was required in order to access the site properly, in the form of building two new big bridges over the canal and moving the River Duggie, but this stalled due to the fact that after demolition of Westwood Power Station in 1989 in 1990 the country had another recession which lasted until the late1990's so there was no government money for anything to be done with Westwood and so the council just covered the site in a layer of top soil and planted a few bushes and also the fabled route 225 should have been built during this time, this would have been an extension to the M58 from Orrell going through and joining the M61 at Bolton, but this was shelved awaiting funding from 1990 until Tony Blair cancelled it in 1997 so the council decided to build the link road itself, in sections going via the Westwood site, with a predicted timeline of a 100 years to build the road through from the M6/M58 junction at Orrell up to the M61 it has taken from 1997 to 2018 for them to start building the first bit of the road from Goose Green to Westwood ...

In 2005 the major road project was begun, to open up Westwood, as previously stated, this involved moving the River Duggy and building two new bridges and moving all the roads around there in preparation of the link road from Goose Green terminating at the new junction there and it took them three years to do all the works at Westwood ...

broady
broady

Thu Dec 13 2018, 18:12
Despite all the above I still think it is used in a game of snooker. bonus question, 1149966045
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum