Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beer in 5th century Britain

+2
Cadfael
Hieronymous
6 posters
Go down
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Beer in 5th century Britain Empty Beer in 5th century Britain

Fri Dec 30 2016, 18:14
I realise that Gooooooooooooogle is my friend but I thought I'd ask on here first just for the hell of it.

I've been reading a book recently concerning the Arthurian legend. A fiction, admittedly, but the author has characters drinking beer and I wondered if beer was known in Britain in the 5th century. Surey it would be mead. (Which they also drank as well as wine)

Beer in 5th century Britain Empty Re: Beer in 5th century Britain

Fri Dec 30 2016, 18:40
I remember reading about ancient Romans dinking beer.
Cadfael
Cadfael

Fri Dec 30 2016, 18:47
Ancient Egyptians drank beer as well, it is far older than we realise.
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Dec 30 2016, 19:05
mead is honey based and is fermented with sometimes spices, hops, fruits and grains...

beer is brewed from fermenting malted barley and is flavoured by hops...

Fri Dec 30 2016, 19:07
500 Bc is as far back as I got.
tonker
tonker

Fri Dec 30 2016, 19:08
Where would they get hops and barley from?

Fri Dec 30 2016, 19:08
Oh, found out the difference between Whisky and Bourbon by accident earlier too Beer in 5th century Britain 709307421 .
Vixen
Vixen
Admin

Fri Dec 30 2016, 19:09
Beer is one of the world's oldest prepared beverages, possibly dating back to the early Neolithic or 9500 BC[citation needed], when cereal was first farmed,[12] and is recorded in the written history of ancient Iraq and ancient Egypt.[13] Archaeologists speculate that beer was instrumental in the formation of civilisations.[14] Approximately 5000 years ago, workers in the city of Uruk (modern day Iraq) were paid by their employers in beer.[15] During the building of the Great Pyramids in Giza, Egypt, each worker got a daily ration of four to five litres of beer, which served as both nutrition and refreshment that was crucial to the pyramids' construction.[16]

The earliest known chemical evidence of barley beer dates to circa 3500–3100 BC from the site of Godin Tepe in the Zagros Mountains of western Iran.[17][18] Some of the earliest Sumerian writings contain references to beer; examples include a prayer to the goddess Ninkasi, known as "The Hymn to Ninkasi",[19] which served as both a prayer as well as a method of remembering the recipe for beer in a culture with few literate people,[9][10] and the ancient advice (Fill your belly. Day and night make merry) to Gilgamesh, recorded in the Epic of Gilgamesh, by the ale-wife Siduri may, at least in part, have referred to the consumption of beer.[20] The Ebla tablets, discovered in 1974 in Ebla, Syria, show that beer was produced in the city in 2500 BC.[21] A fermented beverage using rice and fruit was made in China around 7000 BC. Unlike sake, mould was not used to saccharify the rice (amylolytic fermentation); the rice was probably prepared for fermentation by mastication or malting.[22][23]

source: wiki

Fri Dec 30 2016, 19:16
SO THERE!  Very Happy

Tonks, they knitted their own! Beer in 5th century Britain 1f600 Beer in 5th century Britain 1f600 Beer in 5th century Britain 1f600 Beer in 5th century Britain 1f600 Beer in 5th century Britain 1f600
Corky Ringspot
Corky Ringspot

Fri Dec 30 2016, 19:21
Wigan was good for barley. Beer in 5th century Britain 709307421

Probably because bugger all else would grow. It's a soil thing.
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Fri Dec 30 2016, 19:35
Research tells me that there was a Celtic beer though the ingredients were slightly different then.
tonker
tonker

Fri Dec 30 2016, 19:48
I'm sure they made some sort of fermented drink in the years BC, but I doubt it was 'beer' as we know it.
weatherwax
weatherwax

Fri Dec 30 2016, 21:05
The Time Team Crew once made a celtic beer, which was tried by all at the end of the programme. It was declared to be quite good by them all, If different to modern beers. Very Happy
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Fri Dec 30 2016, 21:10
Brewing in Britain was probably well established when the Romans arrived in 54 BC,[1] and certainly continued under them.

"In the 1980s archaeologists found the evidence that Rome's soldiers in Britain sustained themselves on Celtic ale. A series of domestic and military accounts written on wooden tablets were dug up at the Roman fort of Vindolanda, at Chesterholm in modern Northumbria, dating to between AD90 and AD130. They reveal the garrison at Vindolanda buying ceruese, or beer, as the legions doubtless did throughout the rest of Roman Britain, almost certainly from brewers in the local area."

"One list of accounts from Vindolanda mentions Atrectus the brewer (Atrectus ceruesar[ius), the first named brewer in British history, as well as the first known professional brewer in Britain. The accounts also show purchases of bracis or braces, that is, emmer wheat (or malt), doubtless for brewing. Quite possibly the garrison bought the malt, and hired a local brewer to make beer from it for the troops."

"In Roman Britain, brewing, both domestic and retail, must have been widespread: remains indicating the existence of Roman-era malting or brewing operations have been found from Somerset to Northumberland, and South Wales to Colchester. In the third and fourth centuries AD Roman hypocaust technology, for supplying central heating to homes, was adapted in Britain to build permanent corn dryers/maltings, and the remains of these double-floored buildings, with underground flues, are found in Roman towns
as well as on Roman farms."[2]

British brewing is generally thought to have been part of a wider Celtic tradition. Since this was well before the introduction of hops, other flavourings such as honey, meadowsweet and mugwort may have been used

Wiki - Romano Celtic Britain

Sat Dec 31 2016, 10:38
I think of succotash as a dish made of maize and lima beans boiled together.

Corky thinks of it as a good night out.
Hieronymous
Hieronymous

Tue Jan 03 2017, 17:23
All this talk of beer has made me thirsty
tonker
tonker

Tue Jan 03 2017, 19:20

"Thhhhuffering Thhhhuccotash"! Very Happy
Sponsored content